09/28/13 – 7 miles
This morning’s 5 mile run turned into 7 miles. I added the miles because next Saturday I’m due for a 9-miler, so I thought this would prepare me more.
Yesterday I mentioned the book Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. Here’s the passage that caught my eye. It has to do with 6 steps to acquire wealth:
- Fix in your mind the exact amount of money you desire.
- Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money you desire.
- Establish a definite date when you intend to possess the money you desire.
- Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
- Write out a clear, concise statement of the amount of money you intend to acquire, name the time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for the money, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to accumulate it.
- Read your written statement aloud, twice daily; once just before retiring at night, and once after rising in the morning.
OK, now go back & reread this passage, but substitute “miles” for “money”. This is what anyone who seriously pursues a marathon or half-marathon does. Every day that I run, I am visualizing the upcoming Halloween Halfathon and the Clearwater Marathon while I am running. So much of this pursuit of the marathon goal is mental! Your mind kicks in when your body wants to stop. By race day, stopping short of the finish line is not an option. 113 days until the marathon.